The University of California, Santa Barbara offers an Interdepartmental PhD Emphasis in Environment and Society. Doctoral students from over fifteen departments may add the emphasis to the PhD in their home department. The goal of the PhD Emphasis in Environment and Society is to provide UCSB doctoral students training and mentorship in interdisciplinary environmental studies and sciences beyond the scope of their normal degree programs. Students who meet the requirements of the PhD Emphasis in Environment and Society will graduate with a PhD from their home department, along with wording on their transcript stating they have earned an Emphasis in Environment and Society.
Through the emphasis, students also join the growing network of scholars at UCSB, whose research focuses at the intersection of environment and society. Enrolling in the emphasis will connect graduate students to their peers in other departments and to a diverse group of participating faculty.
- SAVE THE DATE: The IPEES Symposium and Faculty-Student Mixer will take place the afternoon of Friday, November 9.
- The list of relevant IPEES courses for Fall 2018 is available here!
- This year’s Core Seminar (ENVS 200) is scheduled for the Winter Quarter (Fridays, 12:00 - 2:20pm, Bren 4316).
- The PhD Emphasis in Environment and Society is accepting applications. Eligible applicants must be currently enrolled in a doctoral degree program in a participating UCSB department or program.
- If you are interested in joining our mailing list, please contact the Program Coordinator, Martin Rodriguez <email@example.com>.
Please feel free to send any questions about the PhD Emphasis in Environment and Society to Martin Rodriguez, Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that the Interdepartmental PhD Emphasis in Environment and Society provides supplementary training only, limited to students already pursuing PhD degrees in participating departments at UCSB; it is not, in itself, a degree granting program.